Thursday, September 13, 2007

Death at a Funeral

I watched this film at the very quaint Seven Gables Theater located in the University District of Seattle. This movie is directed by Frank Oz, the man who before he was directing such gems like In & Out, was a puppeteer giving us Yoda. If you have ever seriously watched a Frank Oz film you can see just how appropriate it is that he was Yoda, the wise, smart ass, crumegeon, who never gives a straight answer. Often times even in his more straight froward work, I find Oz to be the same way.

This film is about a family funeral in which all sorts of hell breaks loose in every way imaginable. I imagine my own funeral happening something like this and I am damn jealous I cannot watch it unfold myself. Almost makes the whole Tom Sawyer faking his own death thing sound perfect.

My only criticism I would have of the movie it would be that for a British black comedy, the black comedy was somewhat sedate and subdued compared to what I was expecting. Granted I was not expecting Ab Fab, but it seemed somewhat slower paced than I would have expected out of Oz. But then again, this was a funeral movie, so maybe a roller coaster of laughing would be slightly inappropriate.

No comments: