Saturday, December 15, 2007

Spiderman 3

I have seen childhood photos of me from one of my 2nd or 3rd birthday holding a crap load o Spiderman paraphernalia, including a doll, van, and gun.  So it is not surprising that I of course was tickled once Sam Raimi started releasing new versions of the classic icon from my childhood.  I actually own the first two, but missed Spiderman 3 when it was in theaters this summer and just found time to watch it on DVD.  

I have to say, I thought this movie was a lot longer than the earlier ones or at least it was seeming that way this evening.  I can only describe this movie as a classic Id, Ego, Super Ego allegory.  Venom of course is the Id, Peter the Ego and Spiderman the Super Ego.  The only other comment I can make about this movie is that it very neatly wrapped up nearly every single loose end that was trailing from the first two movies.  

Normally this sort of trite convention irritates me, but since I am tired of movie franchises being worked into the ground, I was thrilled that this franchise had a sound, coherent conclusion, without leaving lingering questions tat just serve no other purpose than to lead into another installment.

No comments: