Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer

I do not remember the how or why I became fascinated super hero stories.  I know it is common for all kids to like it, but as you get older, you either out grow it, or become a geek and still love it until the day you die.  I am the latter I think, but like I said, have no idea when or how that happened.

My earliest memory of the Fantastic Four was of a board game - The Amazing Spiderman and the Fantastic Four.  I think there were variations with the Incredible Hulk and others as well, but the Spiderman version was the one I remember best.  I saw the first Fantastic Four on DVD with a friend.  Since it was so much better than I had expected it to be, I had decided that I was going to see Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer in theater this time.  Unfortunately, that did not happen.

I found this sequel to be the epitome of what a sequel in this genre should be.  It was simply a further adventure with the existing cast.  There was no attempt to complete a cyclical story, no attempt to lead into a further sequel, two traps often found in this genre.  Instead, this movie was a firm, stand-alone piece that did not demand that the viewer know anything about the prior film or really anything about the lore of the Fantastic Four.  

To me, this is what makes a sequel in this genre great.  it really is too bad more are not made on this very simple premise.   Could be a lot more big screen comic book features if they did.

No comments: