Thursday, August 23, 2007

Superbad

I saw this totally rad film last night with my boy. It not only made me laugh to the point of almost crying, but it made me feel alive. I described this film to my roommie as a combination of American Pie and Sixteen Candles.

It had a lot of the same crude humor of AP but the sensitivity of SC. But it also had an edge that I have been missing from teen cycle buddy comedies in the past few years. Not even Not Another Teen Movie, which I love to pieces, was as satisfying as this film.

What made this experience even more enjoyable was seeing it with the boy. He is not a native of this country, and he enjoyed it as much as I did. It proves that some universal truths such as comedy can transcend culture backgrounds. Isn't that the greatest gift film has to offer us...

No comments: